The STC Michigan Great Lakes (STC-MGL) chapter is having a logo design contest!
You could win a $50 Amazon gift card by designing a logo for the new STC-MGL chapter, formed when the STC Southeastern Michigan and West Michigan Shores chapters merged. The chosen logo will be used throughout our social media platforms, on our website, and in our supplementary materials.
- Use a vector-based application, such as Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer, to design a logo based on our mission and goals. To learn more about our chapter, visit our chapter website and visit the STC website to learn more about the organization.
- Images must be completely vector-based and licensed or free for website and print use.
- Up to three submissions per person. Submit entries to our council.
- The submission should be a ZIP package containing a total of six files, a 5-page editable PDF file, with one variation per artboard, and a PNG generated from each artboard, as follows:
- The general site or application icon is 512 x 512 pixels at 72 ppi. This is also used for social media.
- The masthead for the website is 1200 x 280 pixels at 72ppi.
- The T-shirt template is 2000 x 2000 pixels at 200ppi.
- The travel mug template is 916 x 582 pixels at 200ppi.
- A logo no more than 800 pixels wide at 300ppi for use on a three-fold brochure.
- All art must be vector based so that we can generate art at new sizes as requirements change.
- The background for all images must be transparent.
- Use colors and fonts that will coordinate with the current website theme.
Submission deadline: Friday, October 30, 2020 at 5 p.m.
Judging: The STC-MGL Council will review the entries and select a winner who will be notified by November 13, 2020 via email. We reserve the right to declare that there is no winner.
Prize: $50 Amazon gift card and credit on the STC-MGL website for at least 6 months, as well as permanent portfolio rights.
Here are some chapter logos at work for inspiration:
Here are our previous chapter logos:
These are our current logos:
App icons are 512 x 512 pixels so they will work everywhere.
The current masthead is 1200 x 280 pixels, a requirement that is tied to the theme.
The STC Alliance Competition is accepting entries for instructional, promotional, informational, or supporting materials. The deadline for submitting entries, whether print and online, is 6:00 p.m., Friday, December 6, 2019.
Have you produced or contributed to technical communication products that you think are worthy of awards, or would you like feedback on a project you are currently working on?
This year, the STC-SM chapter is teaming up with the STC West Michigan Shores (WMS) chapter to host the STC Regional Technical Communication Competition! Entries must qualify as technical communication in one of the following categories: informational, instructional, user support, or promotional material.
Why enter your work in this competition? Among other reasons, a technical communication competition provides a fantastic opportunity to:
- focus and develop your current portfolio of work
- receive constructive feedback and valuable insights from experienced technical communications professionals
- boost your confidence and pride in your individual or team accomplishments
- obtain recognition within the STC organization and greater community of technical communications professionals
- add an accolade to your résumé
The call for entries is now open! You do not need to be a member of STC to enter your work, and group entries are also welcome. For details on entry eligibility and fees, how to submit an entry, and more, see the STC Regional Technical Communication Competition page. The deadline for submissions is Friday, November 2, so don’t delay!
Update: The essay contest ended March 28, 2016.
Our chapter’s professional members are invited to compete to win a Summit 2016 registration by writing an essay. The winning essay will be published on our TECHcomments blog, and the winner will be invited to be one of the presenters at our September 2016 Summit recap, as well as to post to the blog from Summit 2016. Continue reading “Essay Contest Now Open!”
Are you a technical communication student or do you know one? If so, the following information may be of interest:
The Technical Editing Special Interest Group of the Society for Technical Communication is now accepting applications for a $1400 undergraduate scholarship and a $1400 graduate scholarship for students pursuing studies in technical communication. For more information, go to http://www.stc-techedit.org/Scholarship.
The STC New England chapter is now accepting entries for their 2014 technical communication competition! Anyone is welcome to submit an entry; STC membership is not a requirement.
The deadline for entries is October 3rd.
For more information, visit the STC New England chapter’s website. Feel free to contact Emily Alfson with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the competition committee directly at email@example.com.
STC’s Technical Editing SIG is now accepting scholarship applications. Deadline: July 1, 2014. Winners will be announced in August 2014. For details, go to: http://www.stc-techedit.org/Scholarship. This is a wonderful opportunity for students enrolled in either a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in technical communication (or related field) who hope to pursue a career as a Technical Editor. As with any scholarship application process, the key is to make sure you follow through on all the requirements and that you do so with professionalism. As a member of the Technical Editing SIG, I once served on the committee that reviewed the scholarship applications, and I can assure you a lot of work and time goes into reviewing the materials of all those who apply. Good luck to any and all who participate!
The Detroit chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators has their annual communications award submission coming up soon. Click iabc online competition 2014 for more details.